Missing Tooth Clause With Insurance Companies

You have a missing tooth and go to the dentist to replace it. You just purchased dental insurance, so you feel confident you can get a restoration without spending much money. Then the receptionist tells you that your dental insurance has a missing tooth clause, and your procedure will not be covered. Find out what this means and how to avoid it.

What is a missing tooth clause?

When people purchase an insurance policy, it has a date when it goes into effect. Insurance policies that include a missing tooth clause will not cover dental restorations if the tooth was missing before the policy went into effect. If someone loses a tooth on June 1 and the insurance policy goes into effect on June 2, the policy will not cover the restoration.

The missing tooth clause can also include a waiting period. When that is the case, the policy will not cover a tooth replacement if the tooth was lost during this waiting period. Waiting periods differ from one insurance company to the next. However, waiting periods can be as long as five years.

Do all insurance policies have a missing tooth clause?

Most insurance policies have a missing tooth clause, but not all do. It is estimated that 90 percent of policies have this clause, leaving approximately 10 percent without the clause. Patients are encouraged to read the fine print before purchasing dental insurance to avoid this clause. Also, patients should get dental insurance before they think they need it. That way, they will have coverage, even if it has this clause.

Other insurance considerations

While the missing tooth clause is often the most discussed, it is not the only limitation to consider. Some policies have waiting periods for services. Waiting periods for restorative services such as fillings are generally six months while waiting periods for major services are usually up to a year. Insurance companies do not pay for the treatments when the waiting periods are in effect.

Preventative frequencies are also added to most insurance policies. This provision stipulates the number of times patients can go to the dentist to get regular cleanings. Most plans have preventative frequencies in place for twice a year or every six months. While both options allow patient to get cleanings two times a year, those who are limited to visits every six months must ensure the visits are not any closer. Going one or two days earlier can cause the claim to be denied.

Avoid the missing tooth clause and other provisions

If your insurance has a missing tooth clause, you can shop around for another policy. Read the fine print so that you are not surprised by any of the clauses. Consider the waiting periods and the preventive frequencies. After you find the right policy, purchase it and use it at your dental appointments. You can even use some policies to cover the replacement for a tooth you lost before the policy took effect.

Request an appointment here: https://familychoicedentistry.com or call Family Choice Dental at (505) 634-5657 for an appointment in our Albuquerque office.

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.

Related Posts

Common Procedures From A Family Dentist

You can get specific procedures from your family dentist. This dental care provider knows your dental health history. The relationship you have can make each treatment or checkup easier and more pleasant. Here are the common procedures that you can get from your family dentist.A family dentist can perform this non-invasive treatment. Over-the-counter teeth whitening…

The Role Of A Family Dentist In Preventive Dental Care

Oral health is integral to your overall health, and good dental hygiene is essential to maintain healthy teeth and gums. A family dentist not only helps to maintain healthy teeth and gums, but they also play an important role in preventing future dental problems. This blog will explore a family dentist's role in preventive dental…

The Importance Of Regular Checkups With A Family Dentist

Your entire household can have their teeth checked out at the same time if you visit a family dentist. These are dentists who are trained to provide services to patients of all ages. Getting routine dental checkups is an essential part of good oral hygiene. Most dental issues can be avoided by practicing good oral…

Foods To Avoid If You Have Dentures

Replacing missing teeth with dentures restores much of their functionality. However, dental appliances are limited in what they can do compared to natural teeth. While you should be able to return to eating many of the foods that you enjoyed before you lost your teeth, some could cause problems for you. You should avoid eating…